December 31st ~ What Have YOU Done to Get Debt FREE ?

One of the biggest reasons for creating MommyLuvs2save was to create a community of moms and dads who want to help their family save money when buying essentials in order to free up money for debt repayment. My own family has paid off over $111,500 in consumer debt including credit cards, student loan debt and 2 vehicles. I am a teacher at heart. I want to use the skills that I have learned to help YOU ditch debt. I want to encourage each of you in your efforts so that one day you can feel the freedom of being debt free. I’m not quite there yet either (we still have a mortgage) so I need encouragement as well :)

It can be very difficult to pay down debt. There are many temptations to spend money. We live in a culture that encourages debt and spending. In addition, expenses come up and there never seems to be any extra money for paying down debt. I want to urge each of you to participate in a challenge. Just leave a comment about one positive step you’ve taken for your family each day. Did you eat in instead of going out? Did you save money at the grocery store? Did you pay extra on your credit card? Leave a comment below and we will cheer one another on every day and every step of the way.

The challenge is to leave a comment about what YOU have done to work on getting debt free each day. One winner will be chosen to win a $50 Amazon gift card at the end of each month. To participate in the challenge you must comment on at least 10 posts during the month.

* I will also be sharing my progress from the day prior.

My Progress:  Well, I was a little disappointed in myself earlier in the day.  We caved and went out for lunch without a coupon or FREE kid’s meals.  We paid FULL price.  I know we’ve done it in the past, but now since I’m not working I have tried to cut our out to eat spending by using Restaurant.com and coupons.  Our total with tip was $41 and I even got a pretty cheap meal.  I felt so bummed about it.  I’m really trying to beef up our emergency fund and to do that I need to avoid big out to eat meals like that.  I think we rationalized that it was the end of the year and we’ll start fresh 1/1.

I ran into Bath & Body Works to check out their 75% off sale.  I had a gift card with a remaining balance of $3.50.  I bought a lotion for $3.  My total was $3.18 and the cashier said she had to give me the $.32 back in cash. Next, I stopped at Dollar General.  I got 4 packs of free mechanical pencils and pens and 2 packs of Reach floss.  My next stop was Walgreens.  I got 8 of the FREE Quaker granola/yogurt bars.  I hid them away for school lunches.  My only other stop was the Grocery store.  I spent $39.  I actually used a gift card that I had purchased through the girl’s school, so it was $0 out of pocket little shopping spree.

I made dinner at home.  Ro even baked a cake.  I did several surveys after the girlies went to bed.  I also listed a few items on Ebay.  I like listing on Sunday or Monday nights.  Actually the day was pretty perfect if not for that darn $41 lunch.  I know, I know I have to get over it, but I keep thinking about how far I could have stretched that $41 !  Oh well !

What did you do? Leave a comment We’d love to hear about it :) You could make 2012 your year. Who will the December winner be ? We’ll see…

Karen Young from mommyluvs2save.comI am a mom who has paid off $111,500 in debt in less than 4 years by saving money at the stores and putting all of our extra $ on debt. Subscribe to my FREE Daily Newsletter so that you can get my free updates and NEVER miss a deal. Thanks for visiting!

Comments

1. Yvonne says

Don’t beat yourself up too much, Karen. Consider it a last splurge before committing to a frugal 2013. Don’t know if you budget for “blow money” but it might be worth doing. I find I need to have a little money to spend guilt free…..although I still hate to part with what I budget!
    It was a low spend day. On my way to work I bought my papers. After work I stopped at the dollar store for a large monthly planner. I intend to use to keep track of what I spend (and where) and also want to keep track of what I earn from reward sites like swagbucks, checkpoints, etc.

• Beth says

What a great idea about putting your spending on your calendar! I really like visual reminders so I think that will be very helpful for me to see (good or bad) what I’ve done for the day, month, year.

• Yvonne says

I’m very visual, too. I’m hoping that this will be like dieting. When I know I have to write down on paper what I consumed, I tend to eat less. I really need to implement more “need vs want” in all areas of my life and this is my first step in doing so.

2. Beth says

Ate lunch out (guilty here, too) but dinner in. Went to bball game with free tickets which was very fun. After we got home I worked for a few hours so I could leave early today. No other money spent.

• Emily says

That is a very expensive buffet. The most we ever pay for one is around $15/person and I will not go any higher, except our 1x a year splurge.

3. Jessica says

We went to church yesterday morning and home to watch some football! Also I was so proud I turned down an offer to eat dinner at a buffet 32.99/person I was feeling really weird(yet super proud)!!

4. Emily says

We had a guest over for dinner and we owed her from a meal over the summer, she really wanted to get take out pizza so we ended up splurging on pizza hut and I made the order wrong and the wings came out buffalo instead of honey bbq. I will have to figure out how to make them milder but at least we will have meals for the next couple days.

Our vacuum crapped out yesterday when I was getting ready for our guest which kinda sucks but at the same time I’m surprised it lasted this long. I bought the cheapest vacuum I could find 4 yrs ago for a very small apt. We have lived in our house for 3.5 yrs and its vacuumed the whole house numerous times. I have some extra $ because we got ahead on our mortgage this year and had an extra mortgage payment that I didn’t spend because I skipped a month before we really had an emergency fund. I thought I had put it all on debt but I missed some and found another 800 so I will be using that to buy a new vacuum. I’m going to go with the higher end but I want a vacuum that is going to work well and last a long long time. I’ll probably be looking at a dyson.

I put my budget together for the new year and it looks like I can have debt paid off but the mortgage and DH’s car by 2015, which is great and a lot is dependent on us not getting out of this house which we are trying to do. We really want to move closer to family and to Dh’s work and if we do move closer I can look for a good job that will help us pay off things faster, I will miss staying home with my baby but its for the best if I can get a part time job until I have our next LO

5. Shelly Baker says

Very laidback day yesterday. I spent a big part of the day in bed. My body aches from head to toe, I hope it’s not the flu. Trying to finish my budget to start tomorrow. Happy New Years Eve.

6. christy says

My sis and family are still here. We’ve had fun and all the meal planning /prep has paid off. Sis and I went to Target yesterday and scored 30c gift bags, 24c m&ms, 87c Stacys pita chips, 60 gingerbread mix,etc all from the 70% off aisle and some coupons. Best of all had a gift card to pay for it.
    Also, hit up b and bodyworks bought 15 items for 20.16(10 off 30 coupon) and the 75%off deal.
    Kids are outside sledding, need to get back to them

7. kathleen says

Had the day off with my son. I was tempted to go out to do pricey activities with him. We had some BOGO coupons for museums, but at $14-$16 per person plus gas and sometimes parking, it didn’t seem like such a bargain. SO—we went and used a coupon to get him a haircut for free (except tip) at a new Sports Clips in town. We also went to see a train garden in town at a mall for free. My son was begging for a pizza lunch at the mall. (I have to admit that it did smell yummy:). However, I told him we were going home for lunch and we did. My hubbie had made some pizza dough and put it in the fridge yesterday. We just had to take out the dough, put sauce on it, cheese, and pepperoni. About 20 minutes later we were enjoying homemade pizza for a fraction of the cost! Also while we were at the mall, my son saw a pair of Cars CROCS; they were $40. I didn’t get them. When I got home, I saw the post about the crocs online site sale; I ordered him a pair (not CARS) for less than $20 hipped to my door! Also while I was at home today, our one of our cars was being worked on in the shop. I WON a service package worth $328 at a local event. Sometimes the local business drawings are the best since there may be less competition than the big national contests. We are staying in tonight (NYE) so it is low cost. We watched a short video clip of fireworks in Sydney, Australia online for free before my son went to bed. All in all I would consider today a win!

8. Lori says

I went to the Bath and Body Works sale. They have this about twice a year and I usually go and stock up on a few things. I got several body washes for 75% off. Do you know if you go back later in the sale whatever is left they will sometimes mark down more? So if something now was 50% off you might go back later and it is 75% off. I also went to Marshalls and got myself a new coat. Michael Kors on clearance for $48 plus I had a $20 gift card. I also had to buy my son a belt. I usually try to go to Marshalls first because they have the name brands and if I can spend the same amount on something there that I can at Target for an off brand why wouldn’t I? 1; the name brand is normally made better and 2; the resale value will be higher. I’m going to take my old Gap coat that I’ve had for about 7-8 years and sell it on the local facebook yard sale page. I tried to find some Christmas decorations still left but everybody was wiped out of those.