March 20th ~ What Have YOU Done to Get Debt FREE ?

One of the biggest reasons for creating MommyLuvs2save was to create a community of moms and dads who want to help their family save money when buying essentials in order to free up money for debt repayment. My own family has paid off over $111,500 in consumer debt including credit cards, student loan debt and 2 vehicles. I am a teacher at heart. I want to use the skills that I have learned to help YOU ditch debt. I want to encourage each of you in your efforts so that one day you can feel the freedom of being debt free. I’m not quite there yet either (we still have a mortgage) so I need encouragement as well :)

It can be very difficult to pay down debt. There are many temptations to spend money. We live in a culture that encourages debt and spending. In addition, expenses come up and there never seems to be any extra money for paying down debt. I want to urge each of you to participate in a challenge. Just leave a comment about one positive step you’ve taken for your family each day. Did you eat in instead of going out? Did you save money at the grocery store? Did you pay extra on your credit card? Leave a comment below and we will cheer one another on every day and every step of the way.

The challenge is to leave a comment about what YOU have done to work on getting debt free each day. One winner will be chosen to win a $25 Amazon gift card at the end of each month. To participate in the challenge you must comment on at least 10 posts during the month.

* I will also be sharing my progress from the day prior.

My Progress:    I had a good little day yesterday.  Ro has been wanting a little fridge for his classroom and I was able to find a good one for $10 from someone on Craigslist.  He was really excited about that.  I got some things at Aldi. They have eggs for $.89 a dozen and bananas for $.29/lb + some other deals.  I spent $14 and I had a good bit to show for it.  I got a great deal on Groupon with the discount that I posted.  It’s a voucher for two meals at a local restaurant for only $9.60.  I bought it through Swagbucks, so I will earn 19 Swagbucks for buying a great deal.

I earned 106 Swagbucks last night, which wasn’t bad since I didn’t devote too much time to it.  I got a free magazine and a free sample in the mail.  My Freecycle friend and I were emailing back and forth.  I am going this morning to pick up a bunch of stuff from her including food items that I’ll be sharing with my brother’s family since money is tight.  All meals were made at home.  We  had a fun night hanging out and listening to the girls serenade us with songs from “Frozen”.  They know almost every word to all of the songs.  I downloaded a few Kindle books.  I almost got a car wash yesterday for $5 to wash all of the salt off of the van.  Luckily as I was deciding about it, it started to rain and washed the salt away for FREE.  Ro scheduled a free detail and wash for the van at his work for next Wednesday.  That is one nice perk at his work.

What did you do? Leave a comment We’d love to hear about it :) You could make 2014 your year. Who will the March winner be ? We’ll see…

Karen Young from mommyluvs2save.comI am a mom who has paid off $111,500 in debt in less than 4 years by saving money at the stores and putting all of our extra $ on debt. Subscribe to my FREE Daily Newsletter so that you can get my free updates and NEVER miss a deal. Thanks for visiting!

Comments

1. Amanda says

Yesterday was a no spend day. Got a little done around my house again which is nice but still not as energetic about it as I was last week. I really need the sun to boost my energy so I can finish my painting projects, which just happens to be the REST of my house! lol! All meals were made at home and we had leftovers for dinner last night. Today I have some errands to run but just picking up a few things. Earned 113 SBs so I met my goal, I’ve managed to keep on track for more than 8 days so I met the first bonus of 7 days. I am hoping to keep it up to 14 days.

2. Lll says

All meals home. Picked up sauce at grocery. No mail. Sorted coupons, still needs work my box fell upside down!

3. Jennifer W. says

Work yesterday and sold a few things. Only a few bills in the mail. Went to church which was great. I needed it. Dinner was free at church. All other meals at home or brought from home. Working another full day today. Its crazy but I can’t wait to get money these days so I can pay more on debt. It feels great!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Tara says

Saved $1.40 a gallon off of gas. I have recently figured out to really look at the gas deals in my grocery store flyer. Its working out really well.

5. Brittany says

I got to have a mini-splurge day while taking my gram back to the airport. I got to hit up Hobby Lobby for some fabric to make the little lady another summer dress (hopefully she won’t grow anymore this summer and her wardrobe will be done!) and found some Micky fabric for my son in the remnant bin. I think I’m going to whip him up shorts for our Disney trip in May. Found some great ideas on Pintrest for embellishing the plain shirts I bought for the little lady for $1.50 (or less) each and can’t wait to get started! Other than that, got to hit up Trader Joes (only one in my area! 2hrs from home, wah!) for our favorite chocolates and Chinese food. Their produce prices are great too, so I snagged a few items. Overall, not too bad of a day.

6. christy says

Printed coupons/organized binder.
    Plants delivered, Hubs tipped the guys $20 to move them around too heavy for us. It already has the tropical oasis feel, and we haven’t even planted them yet.
    Today we celebrate youngests 13th bday.(Kids are off for spring break) I found a locals deal at the waterside.
    $49 for a yr pass includes free parking and 1 day pass for a friend. We got 4 passes..2 in our family only want to go once. and that leaves 2 more passes for the boys friends to celebrate their birthdays.
    2 birthdays for $200 and a yr at the waterslide is a pretty good deal.
    I will pack snacks and we are having dinner and cake at home.

7. Kimm says

I will be saving $200. a year on car ins. It has taken me over 10 days but was finally able to find a deal where we have the same coverage that we have now but just upped our deductible by $25.00 which was great in my eyes. It took time but I feel that is paid off. My goal is in April to go over our home ins and make sure we have the right ins for us. I never before really looked at our policies and just paid what was due but now since I want to be able to retire and not change out life style and have to take the steps now. David Ramsey has really helped us in a lot of ways do this.