April 26th ~ What Have YOU Done to Get Debt FREE ?

whyd

One of the biggest reasons for creating MommyLuvs2save was to create a community of moms and dads who want to help their family save money when buying essentials in order to free up money for debt repayment. My own family has paid off over $111,500 in consumer debt including credit cards, student loan debt and 2 vehicles. I am a teacher at heart. I want to use the skills that I have learned to help YOU ditch debt. I want to encourage each of you in your efforts so that one day you can feel the freedom of being debt free. I’m not quite there yet either (we still have a mortgage) so I need encouragement as well :)

It can be very difficult to pay down debt. There are many temptations to spend money. We live in a culture that encourages debt and spending. In addition, expenses come up and there never seems to be any extra money for paying down debt. I want to urge each of you to participate in a challenge. Just leave a comment about one positive step you’ve taken for your family each day. Did you eat in instead of going out? Did you save money at the grocery store? Did you pay extra on your credit card? Leave a comment below and we will cheer one another on every day and every step of the way.

The challenge is to leave a comment about what YOU have done to work on getting debt free each day. One winner will be chosen to win a $25 Amazon gift card at the end of each month. To participate in the challenge you must comment on at least 10 posts during the month.

* I will also be sharing my progress from the day prior.

My Progress:  I had a decent day yesterday, but I didn’t get much deal shopping done.  I had lots of ideas for what I wanted to do, but the day kind of got away from me.  I did run into Home Goods and Pier 1 Imports in search of lamps for our newly redone sitting room.  I didn’t find any lamps that I wanted, but I did pick up a few things.  I got a new crate mat for Rudy.  He chewed up his old one a few weeks ago, but I don’t like him laying on the bare bottom of it.  Maybe he learned his lesson and will appreciate his new mat :).  I also got a set of memory foam rugs for our bathroom.  Have you guys tried these ?  Okay, seriously, if you learn nothing else from me please try the memory foam rugs in your bathroom outside the shower or wherever.  They are fabulous.  I have a little path of them throughout the bathroom.  I got a set of 2 really nice ones at Home Goods for $14.99.  I got a set there before and they are the best ones I’ve tried.  Let me know if you try them.  You’ll be mentally thanking me every time you get out of the shower.

We are still making changes to the website.  I hope you like what you see, but feel free to let me know if there’s something you’re not crazy about.  This is really all for you guys, so I want to make sure it’s how YOU want it.  Last night we updated Twitter and Facebook so all of my posts are automatically going to both places again.  Feel free to use the icons to the right under the subscription box to follow ML2S on Twitter and Facebook if you don’t already. I updated the outdated coupon links in the main menu.  This is a great resource for printable coupons.  I will be making sure that all of the other links in the menu are active and accurate as well.   There are still more changes to come, but that’s what’s new as of now :)

I went out for dinner with my sister and parents last night.  My dad tried to pay, but I didn’t let him.  I made dinner for Ro and the kids before leaving.  The mail was boring. I earned 153 Swagbucks yesterday.  I didn’t do any additional surveys because I used my free time to update the site.

I hope you all have a fun weekend planned.  The girls have a birthday party for Kayla’s best friend at dinnertime.  I may run and do a little grocery shopping while they are bowling at the party.

What did you do? Leave a comment We’d love to hear about it :) You could make 2014 your year.  Who will the April winner be ? We’ll see…

Karen Young from mommyluvs2save.comI am a mom who has paid off $111,500 in debt in less than 4 years by saving money at the stores and putting all of our extra $ on debt. Subscribe to my FREE Daily Newsletter so that you can get my free updates and NEVER miss a deal. Thanks for visiting!

Comments

1. says

I have a memory foam rug in front of my stove and do agree, it is fabulous! Yesterday was an errand running day for me. One thing I wasn’t planning on was needing an entirely new tire for our zero turn mower. Was hoping it was just a tube. It wasn’t too bad ($40) but even so, I am thankful for a maintenance fund. Scored some Easter items at Wally World for 75% off. I also used a rain check and coupons for cat litter at another store, making it half price. I earned 299 swagbucks. I had slacked off a bit, but am now trying to put more effort into earning them.

2. Emily says

Had an appt for the dog yesterday, the one who didn’t get severly wounded. He did get a torn ear in the fight so we took him to our regular vet to see if he would need it stitched. Luckily he will be fine without surgery and that saved us that fee. After that we just came home and relaxed. Had leftovers for dinner so other than the vet it was a no spend.

3. Brittany says

I don’t remember spending any money yesterday, but I got many things off my check list! I sold a few things, which is nice to add to my cash envelope. Tonight I’ll be babysitting, so that cash can be added to it. Haven’t decided what I’m doing with the envelope’s contents, but may be this will be our Disney cash. I’m doing pretty good with it! :)
    Someone who stopped by to pick up something I was selling took a peek inside the house since it’ll be up on the market, hopefully as soon as possible! Her sister is moving here and looking for a house over in our neighborhood. She thought it was a cute house–which after the paint job and new floors, I agree!

4. christy says

Attempted to go surf but it was too windy and choppy. Went for walk on beach with Hubby, instead. My favorite FREE activity.
    All meals at home, spent $14 for dinner ingredients and $1.25 for Redbox movie.
    (This is the first Redbox I have paid for in years, usually wait for a promo code.)
    Now we tighten the belt til payday on the 1st.
    Cleaned the house, prepped for the weekend, earned swag,and prayed for financial blessings for my family and the ML2S families.

5. Lll says

got a few items at walmart. hoping to see a few cents added to my savings catcher. I hope everyone gets to use this soon, it is great! The plan is to save it to help out at Christmas.
    did a bit of garage sailing, got some jeans for lil guy to finish school year. also got some for lil miss to make her shorts 50 cents for denim shorts vs $12.95 at old navy. I have been trying to come up with ways to get what we need for less, so was happy when this lightbulb went off! lol
    Fed everyone leftovers for dinner, as we ate out both lunch and breakfast! i have to get better organized with my planning!

6. Jen says

I haven’t posted in quite a while but I’ve been reading everyone’s updates! Baby C is 3 months old today & we are loving every minute of it. The adoption was finalized at the beginning of April so we are done with all the court/lawyer stuff. I paid the final bill from one lawyer & might still have a small bill out there with the attorney that finalized everything for us so I’m keeping my eye out for it. I’m guessing it’ll be under $350 as we had paid a large retainer but they had to go back & forth with the other attorney so they had more time than expected. We will get the adoption tax credit this year so I stopped our federal withholding as I’d rather have the money each check that wait for a huge one in April of 2015 (probably even longer as it takes so long to process paper returns & adoption credits require you to paper file).
    We are saving our daycare reimbursement $ from my flex plan into our higher interest savings account so it’s adding up quickly. I’d never save $500/month every single month otherwise. We are working away at the debt repayment now that we aren’t paying attorneys & have the extra cash from our withholding. Hubby’s grad school payment is due next month & I’m proud to say this is the 1st semester in his college that we are paying in cash- no more student loans! We have enough of those to pay off from undergrad & his 1st year of grad school, we’ve vowed not to take out anymore student loans or let our cc balances go up, only down!

7. Margaret says

Running around the town so I spent gas. We ate at home which was great. Haven’t posted in a few days. Had two days at work with free lunch and snacks!