April 29th ~ What Have YOU Done to Get Debt FREE ?

whyd

One of the biggest reasons for creating MommyLuvs2save was to create a community of moms and dads who want to help their family save money when buying essentials in order to free up money for debt repayment. My own family has paid off over $111,500 in consumer debt including credit cards, student loan debt and 2 vehicles. I am a teacher at heart. I want to use the skills that I have learned to help YOU ditch debt. I want to encourage each of you in your efforts so that one day you can feel the freedom of being debt free. I’m not quite there yet either (we still have a mortgage) so I need encouragement as well :)

It can be very difficult to pay down debt. There are many temptations to spend money. We live in a culture that encourages debt and spending. In addition, expenses come up and there never seems to be any extra money for paying down debt. I want to urge each of you to participate in a challenge. Just leave a comment about one positive step you’ve taken for your family each day. Did you eat in instead of going out? Did you save money at the grocery store? Did you pay extra on your credit card? Leave a comment below and we will cheer one another on every day and every step of the way.

The challenge is to leave a comment about what YOU have done to work on getting debt free each day. One winner will be chosen to win a $25 Amazon gift card at the end of each month. To participate in the challenge you must comment on at least 10 posts during the month.

* I will also be sharing my progress from the day prior.

My Progress:  I had a decent day yesterday.  I picked up the Shark Tale movie from Amazon that I posted about.  I think it’s was a few $$.  I made homemade banana bread.  I made all meals at home.  I marinated chicken and Ro threw it on the grill when he got home.  We also had broccoli and the kids had macaroni salad as well.  I cashed in Bing Rewards points for 500 Swagbucks.  I will save the code for a busy day, so I don’t have to worry about reaching my goals on a busy day.  Hmm, today might be the day – we’ll see.

I dodged a bullet with my laptop last night.  I use a free anti-virus and it’s worked out great so far. It was recommended to me by my dad, who is great with computers.  Something online triggered a security thread and my anti-virus couldn’t get rid of it.  I called my dad and he recommended doing a whole computer scan.  I did and it worked – whew ! I usually have the worst luck with electronic stuff. The mail included a few diaper samples from Costco.  I’m saving them to put in a little basket for when my nephew’s first child is born in a few weeks.  I also got the free baby book I posted about earlier for the same baby.

I earned 119 Swagbucks yesterday .  It helped me reach my first goal.  I found some really cool lamps for the room we are redecorating.  The room is almost finished now and it looks so nice.  We did it for a fraction of what we thought it was going to run us.  I may get a few decorative items, but that’s it.  We do have that one console table that we are picking up on Friday, but otherwise DONE !  The only problem is that the room looks so beautiful that the rest of the house looks lousy – ha ha.  I’ll have to frugally work on that :)

What did you do? Leave a comment We’d love to hear about it :) You could make 2014 your year.  Who will the April winner be ? We’ll see…

Karen Young from mommyluvs2save.comI am a mom who has paid off $111,500 in debt in less than 4 years by saving money at the stores and putting all of our extra $ on debt. Subscribe to my FREE Daily Newsletter so that you can get my free updates and NEVER miss a deal. Thanks for visiting!

Comments

1. Maria says

Hubby finally gets paid today. It’s hard when it’s only once a month. I’m subbing at school on Friday so that will be some extra $$$. So excited headed to NYC for Mother’s Day with my mom and a friend and her mom. Been saving for months, NYC is SOOO expensive. Spent $20 yesterday at Aldi mostly pork chop and fruits and vegetables.

2. christy says

Gas is $4.49 here now, The lines were long at Costco gas but I paid $4.11/gal
    Deposited the $100 check I got from mowing a yard. $40 went to drivers license and the rest to Target
    for groceries. Our store has lots of clearance on groceries..plus I had $12 in coupons, $6 in cartwheel, $15 in gift cards, and 5% off debit. I was trying to impress my daughter with my coupon awesomeness.
    Meals at home, talked with Hubby about finances and lowering our taxes.

• Karen says

Wow, $4.49. It’s about $3.69 here and I thought that was bad. I hope your daughter was properly impressed with your couponing. My girls try to see how much they can get me to go over budget by asking for everything they see. I say no to about 99% of it though…

• Margaret says

Wow! I can’t believe how expensive your gas is! And I am always complaining about the high WV state gas taxes. We are 3.69 also. My Sams gas only saves as much as my Sheetz card. Wish we had Costco.

3. Amanda says

Spent money on dinner but all other meals were made at home and no other money was spent. Gotta do better on the ordering food thing. We don’t do it that often but more than we should! Earned 200 Swagbucks (did a survey) and cashed out for a $50 paypal. Saving up to do some of the projects I’ve been wanting to get done around here but thinking about trying to fly the MIL in for hubby’s 40th birthday in June. Trying for it to be a surprise so I gotta get a move on with my saving up!

4. says

No spend day yesterday. Struggled to meet my first swagbucks goal. FYI, the last time I cashed out my BING code for swagbucks, it did not go towards the goal. Still nice to get the boost in swagbucks though.

5. Tara says

Babysitting a friend’s little boy today. I love making the extra money and the kids love playing. It is pouring here so I’m trying to be creative with activities. I wanted to bake them something but then thought they don’t need the sugar and I don’t need to run out to replace the household staples I would use up, so we had a dance party, built a fort and listened to a library audio book. Next I will let them watch something on Hulu- that’s what I use my Bing points for because we don’t have cable, but we can watch so much on Hulu free with Bing.

6. Emily says

Dh and some friends got the last of the stuff out of the old house and brought it here. They requested pizza so that’s what we had. Tonight making dinner with some chicken legs we have. Its a rainy day here so we’re spending it indoors, I’ve been moving things around all morning trying to figure out what I want to put where in the house. I seem to mostly have just made a bigger mess.

• Karen says

I feel for you Emily. Moving stinks. You will get it all sorted out though. We’ve been in our house for over 2 years and just finished our living room. Give yourself some time and grace.

7. Margaret says

Lunch at home. Went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner – it was kids night so all of the kids meals were 99 cents, including a small meal, unlimited drink/rolls, and a side! When you have three kids that adds up! The adults drank water which always saves money!