Wow, what would you life look like without any debt ? What would it feel like not to have any credit cards or car payments ? No student loans ? Eventually no mortgage ? How would it be to open up the mailbox day after day just to find junk mail, maybe a utility bill and some free magazines ?
That’s the life we’re trying to live. We’re not there yet, believe me, but we inch closer and closer every month. We’ve paid off a LOT of debt, but we still have a little on one credit card, some left to pay on Ro’s truck and the rest of the mortgage. We’ll get there one day, but I honestly LOVE seeing all of the balances go down each month.
Honestly it’s easy to pay down the bills that are lower amounts and that really feels great, BUT once you start hitting those bigger bills it’s hard to remain motivated. Here are 5 things you can do to remain focused and intense because I truly believe that intensity is the key to getting out of debt as fast as possible.
- Track Your Progress ~ You can track your progress in an Excel spreadsheet, use a debt thermometer, hang a chart on your fridge or even use the free paper chains on the side of this website. Having something visual to look at whenever you feel uninspired will give you just the pep you need to keep moving !
- Give Yourself Mini-Milestone Rewards ~ Let’s say you are in the process of paying off your car and you have $20,000 left to pay off. Make a deal with yourself that every $4k or $5k you pay off you will treat yourself to a SMALL celebration or reward. If you are married or have a significant other have a coffee date at Starbucks or do something small, but special that will get you motivated to get to the next milestone.
- Imagine the End Goal ~ Take a few minutes to revisit why you are doing this. What is that you are trying to accomplish and why ? What do you hope to do when you get out of debt ? Will you be able to work part time ? Do more fun things with the kids ? Go on a fabulous vacation ? Change jobs to a less stressful (but lower paying) job ? What is the WHY ? for you ? Why are you doing this ?
- Surround Yourself With Like Minded People ~ Spend a little time with a frugal friend or someone who is working on similar goals. Meet up with a “cheerleader” for a pep talk. We all have at least a few people in our lives who are good at picking us up when we are needing a little extra motivation. Get in touch with one of those people and get your feel good on 🙂
- Take a Look at Where You Came From ~ Take a look at where you stood financially when you started. How much debt did you have ? Were you stressed ? Did your relationships suffer ? Did you sleep easily or toss and turn every night ? Allow yourself to be impressed with yourself. Pat yourself on the back and smile at yourself in the mirror. You have come this far and you CAN cross the finish line.
Please join us every day – or whenever you can by commenting on the “What Have You Done to Get Debt FREE ” post. It’s wonderful to have a community of like minded people working towards the same goal !